That’s Right…it’s game time…and for me it’s never about football but always about the food. These party “snackers” will be sure to please any Niner or Ravens fan, and just might score you a touchdown this year! Enjoy!
1. Black Bean Corn Salsa & Fresh Tortilla Chips
(I know this is repeat offender, but it is a must have for your ultimate party feast! A must!!)
- 2 cans black beans (frijoles negros)
- 2 small cans of white corn (preferably shoe peg corn, but sometimes it’s hard to find)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilis (Hunts brand prefered)
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper seeded and small diced
- 1 small can of salsa verde (found in the Spanish food section)
- 1/4 of red onion finely chopped
- 1 lime – just the juice
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro chopped
- 2-3 TBSP of cumin
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- 1-2 dash of hot sauce (Franks)
- Season with Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 to 1 jar of piquante sauce ( Personal preference depending on if you like your salsa thinner or chunkier)
- Diced avocado (Optional) The salsa will not keep as long when you add the avocados.
Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. It is much better after the ingredients have had a chance to sit, so I always make this a day in advance.
Also click on the video clip below to watch a simple way to make Amazing tortilla chips at home!
2. Kentucky PROUD Chicken Wings in Asian Hot Sauce
Here in the KY, we have a program through the Department of Agriculture that supports local Ky grown products and it’s known as KY Proud. This is a great opportunity for local growers and farmers to market their products to restaurants, farmers markets, etc. These wings are just PROUD, but I wanted to shed a light on this amazing service provided by our state. To learn more about Ky proud go to kyproud.com and check out some of the products available. You might be hooked like you will be once you have these wings!
Buttermilk Brine for the Wings : (It is important to brine the wings overnight for added flavor, salt, moisture, and who doesn’t love buttermilk?!
- 1 pint of buttermilk
- couple of fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 cup of Hot Sauce ( Frank’s preferred)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 TBSP Salt
- 1 TBSP Cracked Black Peppercorns
- Pinch of sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic-crushed
Let the wings soak in buttermilk mixture for 4-6 hours or overnight covered tightly. Drain the wings but do not rinse off the buttermilk brine.
Seasoned Flour for the Wings
- 1 TBSP Chili Powder
- 2 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP Salt
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 TBSP Cajun Seasoning
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 cup of Flour (more if needed)
Heat a pan full of oil (about 1 1/2 inch thick, enough oil that will come up around the sides of the chicken wing) you want to make sure the oil is hot and around 325 degrees. To check the heat, place a wooden spoon into the oil and it should bubble heavily around the spoon. This is a good indication your oil is hot enough.
Once you have drained the wings, dip them into the seasoned flour and place in the hot pot of oil, carefully using a spider or slotted spoon so not to burn your hand. Leave on one side for about 3-4 minutes or until the sides start to brown, then flip. Your chicken should have a deep golden brown crust. Continue to fry on the other side then remove and place on a papertowel lined baking sheet. Continue process until you have fried all of the wings.
Take the wings and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees and cook until the chicken is done and the juices are clear or the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Sauce for the wings
- 1/2 a stick of butter
- 1/2 cup of Hot sauce (Franks preferred)
- 1/4 cup Mae Poy sweet chili sauce
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 2 TBSP Hot Chili Oil or Thai Chili Garlic Paste
- Splash of Soy Sauce
- A fresh lime juice
- Fresh Green Onions Chopped
Mix all of the ingredients together in a small saucepan and heat on a medium setting until the mixture is warm and thoroughly blended. Pour over the wings and toss and serve immediately while it’s finger lickin good!!!
Homemade Pimento Cheese Spread with Vegetables
Of course we need a little KY representation at this superbowl shin dig. With a nice big bowl of pimento cheese your guests will keep piling it up on fresh veggies or even on a sliced toasted baguette. You can also serve it as seen above already prepared as bite size appetizers stuffed in celery, or grape tomatoes, or inside the cavity of mini sweet peppers.
- 2 cups of shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup of Real Mayonnaise
- 1/2 of a small onion grated
- 1 jar of pimentos finely chopped
- a dash of Hot sauce
- 2 TBSP cajun seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve. Wonderful with crisp celery and sweet bell peppers.
Mini Chipotle Beef Sliders (These mini tex mex chipotle cheeseburgers will score a touchdown!)
Another repeat offender, but when it ain’t broke, yes I said aint, don’t fix it.
Yield- 8-10 mini burgers
- Ground Beef (1 1/2-2 lbs) 90/10 or 80/20 you can also substitute with ground turkey
- 2 Adobo chilis in can, remove seeds, and chop
- 2 TBSP of Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 2 TBSP grill seasoning (i.e. McCormicks Montreal Steak or Canadian Steak Seasoning)
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of bottled beer
- 1-2 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 TBSP onion powder
- a handful of fresh cilantro chopped (again just eyeball it)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pepper jack and mozzarella Cheese Slices
- Lettuce, Tomatoes, & Onions sliced
- avocados, quartered and cut in strips
- Toasted Mini Hamburger Buns
Spicy Mayo- Add about 1 1/2 tbsp adobo chili sauce and 1 tsp of chopped adobo chilis to about 1 cup of mayonnaise, and season with a little salt and pepper.
Directions for Burgers:
Before you mix up all the ingredients in a medium size bowl season your meat on both sides with a little salt and pepper and just a drizzle of olive oil. In a medium size bowl mix ground meat, onions, cilantro, adobo chili, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, grill seasoning, onion powder, and bottled beer. Patty out your burgers just a little larger than the size of the buns because they will shrink once they hit the grill. Season once again with just a pinch of salt and pepper and place on a hot oiled grill. Cook about 5 minutes on each side or to desired doneness. Place cheese slices about 2 minutes before the burgers are ready. Serve on hot toasted mini burger buns with lettuce, tomato, onions, sliced avocados, and a dollop of the chipotle mayo! Get your napkins ready, but it is sooo worth it!
Here’s a little video clip on the sliders: http://youtu.be/mHUXK3TxTMo