Who is ready for spring? I think it is safe to say that we have all had our fair share of snow and enough is enough. Seeing that spring is just around the corner, I can almost taste the fresh produce from my garden and the smell of rosemary and lavender outside my kitchen window is almost too much to bear. Despite the longing for patio dining, heirloom tomatoes, and window flower boxes I can still find a way to enjoy a sensational spring inspired salad that will satisfy my craving. (temporarily)
The 4B Salad
- 1/4 c Blueberries (fresh)
- 1/4 c Blue cheese crumbles
- Fine Aged Balsamic Dressing
- Bacon Crumbles (about 3 strips of Bacon)
- Mixed Greens or Artisan Lettuce leaves
- Pistachio’s or candied almonds
- Fresh spinach leaves
This salad really teases the palette with a wonderful sweet and salty combination. The creaminess of the blue cheese, the salty and crisp bacon, combined with the sweet juicy blueberries, finished with a splash of aged balsamic really creates a little magical marriage of flavors in your mouth.
It really is best to just fix each individual salad in small bowls or salad plates to ensure that each serving has an adequate amount of each ingredient. I find if you mix it all together in a large salad bowl you end up digging for the good stuff at the bottom.
- Combine mixed greens and spinach leaves and place in bowls or on salad plates.
- Top with fresh blueberries, blue cheese crumbles, and bacon
- Drizzle with aged balsamic. (My preference is a delightful cabernet/balsamic blend from the Vincent Arroyo Winery in Napa Valley)
- Finish with a sprinkling of candied almond slivers, or pecans, walnuts, or my personal favorite pistachio’s.